Thursday, August 17, 2006

Cue theme music

From Jaws. I couldn't think of another, more ominous theme song.

We got Eric Hinske. Who always strikes fear into the hearts of Red Sox pitchers, for some reason. He has a great batting average against the Sox. I think Fenway will be good for a hitter like him. He's got some pop, plus we really need a left-handed bat, with Trot and switch-hitting 'Tek out.

So the Yankees are getting spanked (bigtime) by the Orioles, the team we just swept over the weekend. Gotta make you feel a little bit better. But only a little. Sox ended the series with Detroit on a good note, but still ended up losing two out of three. What I saw from Detroit made me think that they will probably end up winning the World Series. Their offense is decent, but the pitching is spectacular. Leyland didn't exactly have to dip into the bullpen early, as his starters gave him strong outings. It made me jealous.

Tomorrow marks what could be a turning point for the slumping Sox. We start the day 1 1/2 back, but in 5 games we could either be totally out of it or right back in first place, where we belong. A lot can happen. Maybe Lester will show some sparks of greatness, like he did a while back. Maybe Beckett won't get shelled and last 1 1/3 innings. Maybe our offense will wake up and have a field day with Sidney Ponson (how can you not?), The Big Ugly, or whoever else they throw at us.

PS - Props to Coco Crisp for having some good games in the past several days. Especially that wallball double with the bases loaded (I still contend that Cora got his foot on the plate before the tag). Also, major major kudos to David Wells for sparing the bullpen last night. 6 2/3 innings of some solid pitching (with a few blips here and there, but hey, the guy is 43). Now we just need Wake and 'Tek back.

I will be at the night game tomorrow, thanks to my friend Clayton. Otherwise, I would have gone an entire season without seeing a Sox/Yankees matchup. And that just would not do at all.

Lastly - more props to the Red Sox F.O. for signing Carlos Pena. Not because we really needed him, but because he's a graduate of Northeastern University. Go Huskies!

4 Comments:

At 7:49 PM, Blogger Michael Leggett said...

BTW, I wrote my rant about Yankee Stadium, yesterday:

Think of a 'Giant Toilet" & you get the idea.

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger Erica said...

Ugh, I'vr had the unfortunate experience of having to go to the current Yankee Stadium. I can't imagine how it could be any worse. It has absolutely no character...

I'll take the confines of Friendly Fenway any day.

 
At 12:14 PM, Blogger Michael Leggett said...

I'll be at Fenway Park for the 7:05PM Game on September 2nd, in Sec 16. Row 3 Seat #1, for that occasion.

 
At 11:51 PM, Blogger Michael Leggett said...

Come back to life:

We need some of your snarky posts, again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home